Duplin House

From The Traditional Tune Archive
Jump to: navigation, search

Back to Duplin House


DUPLIN HOUSE. AKA and see "Leslie's March (1)/Lesley's March [1]," "Blue Bonnets (2)," "March from Oscar and Malvina." Scottish, March or Air (6/8 time). B Flat Major. Standard tuning (fiddle). AAB. Gow's adaptation of the march printed earlier by Watts in Musical Miscellany (1731, as "Black, White, Yellow and Red") and by James Oswald (Book 2, 1755) as "Leslie's March." A description of Dupplin House is in Richard Pococke's Tours in Scotland 1747, 1750, 1760, a travelogue in the form of letters to his family. In one of these, to his sister, posted from Perth in August, 1760, he writes:

We went on to the west of Duplin Wood, where the Roman Road enters it, and the ridge of rocks comes to it which is broader, and covered much with heath: we came to Duplin House to which there is a handsome Front to the North and large offices. There is a narrow Gully to the East, and a terrace to the South, which as well as the house commands a most glorious view of the windings of the Erne, of a most beautiful vale, of the hills to the East and South, and of the Mountains of Fife beyond them: The place is on all sides adorned with plantations, and there are some very good pictures in the house, particularly a Titian with three figures, one of which is much like Raphael, when he was very young. Lord Kinoul is fitting up this charming place for his residence.

Lord Kinnoul was Thomas Hay (1710-1787), the 8th Earl, a Whig statesman who was, for a time, ambassador to the Court of Lisbon. He retired to his estate at Dupplin in 1762. In 1765 he was elected Chancellor of the University of St. Andrews, and in 1768 was chosen President of the Scottish Society for the Propagation of Christian Knowledge.



Source for notated version:

Printed sources: Gow (Second Collection of Strathspey Reels), 1788; p. 5.

Recorded sources:




Back to Duplin House